Friday, January 23, 2009

Graham Crackers


When we started potty training we bribed Soraya with crackers. She could have 2 crackers every time she used the potty. Well, we were going through a lot of crackers. And in my opinion, even the "healthiest" cracker in the super market still is not nourishing to the body. It is more harmful than helpful. So, I decided to make some homemade graham crackers. I just made them for the second time today and they turned out even better than the first time! They are actually pretty good. I enjoyed dunking them in some raw milk :)
Graham Crackers
41/2 c. spelt flour
1 c. butter
1 c. buttermilk
2 c. rapadura or sucanant
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

Mix flour, butter and buttermilk and let stand at room temperature overnight. (Use a glass bowl and cover with a plate). Next morning, mix rest of ingredients and add to four mixture. Roll out as thin as possible and cut with a cooking cutter. Bake at 350 until crisp.



Tips
  • My hardest problem is rolling them thin enough. I still think I can get them thinner. The harder I push though, the more they tend to stick to the counter.
  • I don't have any cookie cutters...so I use a shot glass :) Works great!
  • They seem to stick less to my stone than cookie sheets.
  • 15 minutes seems to be the right amount of time. They will crisp up some as they cool, so take them out when they are golden brown.

2 comments:

  1. Those sound pretty good!
    Completely off topic....we'll be up there on Sunday. Will you be at church?

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't press harder when rolling - just roll longer. start in the middle and roll out in all directions. maybe that'll keep them from sticking.

    ReplyDelete